1. The Holy Temple of St Nikolaos in Pyrgos
(13 Km – Min.Time 14 min)
(13 Km – Min.Time 14 min)
The biggest church in the area of Pyrgos, the Holy Temple of St Nikolaos, presides over the central square and attracts everyone’s attention.
St. Nicholas church. is located in the central square of the town of Pyrgos, bearing the name “Sakis Karagiorgas”. It is the Metropolis of Pyrgos and its architectural style is a three-aisled basilica. In 1885 it was destroyed by the earthquakes, with the first works from its reconstruction to take place in May 1889.
In fact, for the reconstruction of the Holy Church of St. Nicholas at that time, special craftsmen of marble and stone from the Sporades arrived at Pyrgos. In 1904 the municipality of Pyrgos decided to donate four thousand drachmas for the completion of the Temple, which was inaugurated in 1906. The Metropolitan Church brings into its interior important portable icons, most of which are donations of citizens and associations. A special mention is worth to be made about the donation(from the former MP Nakis Avgerinos) of the image of the Crucifixion of Christ, which is a faithful copy of the painting of Dominique Theotokopoulos (El Greco) which the donor brought from the Prado Museum of Spain where the original work is.
In front of the Metropolitan Church, there are the busts of Metropolitan Oleni, Philaretos, who was tortured and hanged in Tripoli in 1821 and the late Metropolitan of Ilia, Athanasios. The Temple closed in 2014 in order to be carried out major renovations and maintenance work, reopening its gates to the believers in December 2017.
(22 Km – Min.Time 23 min)
The wine routes reveal special wine experiences in the wineries that are open to visitors. It’s time to get to know Protected Geographical Indication wines such as “Ilia”, “Letrini” and “Pisatis”.
The Monastery of Panagia Kremasti is located 18 km. away from the town of Pyrgos. There can be reached by following either the route from the beautiful village Lanthi, whether from Lambeti, which is 8 km.
The building of the monastery stands majestic and lofty, essentially hanging from an enormous rock at an altitude of 334 meters. The view offered is magnificent. One can distinguish from above the forest of Folois and Erymantho. Needless to mention the insurmountable awe that causes the visitor such a picture.
The construction of the monastery of Panagia Kremasti dates back to 1600, or earlier, according to some fathers. Reason for building the monastery, but also to get the name “Hanging” was the discovery of the icon of Our Lady, hovering in a small cave in the rock that seems to radiate.
So one of the residents came down with a rope and took the picture. The event featured miraculous and began building the monastery. After many desecrations and destruction, the monastery managed to continue operating until today. Even now the church of the monastery is built in a cave.
Stands majestic and impresses with its volume as if suspended from the rock. 800 years ago local residents watched the night in a hole of a light rock. They hung with rope someone who found the image of the Virgin floating.
The monastery of Panagia Kremasti celebrates on 23 August. Thousands of pilgrims stay at Vespers and on the day of the feast, flock to venerate the Mother of God.
The monastery attracts thousands of pilgrims during the whole year. From the balcony of the church the visitor can admire all the beauty of the land of Elis the Foloi Forest and the magnificence of the river Erymanthos.
(54 Km – Min.Time 42 min)
The most important religious site you will find close to Olympia is the Monastery of Panagia Vlacherna in Kyllini. Its structure begun during the Byzantine times and it was completed by the Franks. It has some remarkable frescoes in its interior.
Close to the monastery lies the small church of Analipsi in a beautiful verdant surrounding.